You know, I really really don’t think folks understand what is going on in these school systems. In these majority-Black cities. How privatization means money is straight STOLEN from the city to build charter schools meant to make money for the BUSINESSES that own them. And then when everything goes to shit cuz the city has NO MONEY they blame it on the people.
People in this city have no jobs, not enough food, no housing security, kids moving 6times in 1 school year because their family can only pay enough for a security deposit… But they blame it on teachers that the kids aren’t doing well.
Do you know what my mom got in terms of supplies for this year?
1 pack of loose leaf paper
1 pack of printer paper
A few pens and pencils and white board markers.
That’s fucking it.
I don’t know any teacher who doesn’t have to buy their OWN supplies for students.
My mom had a student today whose mom sent a note saying she couldn’t buy her son school supplies until after the 14th. So my mom went in her cabinet and gave him a notebook, pens, and pencils from her own stash of supplies.
And now the district is making teachers go through all this unnecessary, humiliating shit because we gotta monitor THE TEACHERS. It’s THE TEACHERS we need to be sure are up to standard.
They made every DPS teacher this summer go in front a panel of admins to prove that they were an effective teacher and should keep their job. As if principals don’t know their own faculty. As if this is even worth anyone’s time. Now they all have to submit their lesson plans for review as if they’re fucking interns who haven’t been teaching for years and decades.
And they’ve been putting pressure on my mom because, apparently, her AP students aren’t scoring high enough on the exams. When, before she started teaching AP Gov’t, NO STUDENTS PASSED the test. Now she has some students getting 4s and 5s. But there’s still too many kids failing. Well, the ones that are straight failing are the ones who SPEAK ENGLISH AS A SECOND LANGUAGE. Is there any support for the HUGE amount of DPS kids who speak Arabic, Bengali, or Spanish as their first language? No? Well then what the fuck you think is gonna happen!
I pray the teachers striking in Chicago get some support. Hell, kids and teachers need to be striking in all these cities where privatization is ruining the already small chance these kids have of getting out of poverty or just fucking surviving
- mselectricity reblogged this from blackraincloud
- straightupvelvet reblogged this from blackraincloud
- empanadilladepizza likes this
- rebirth-of-a-soul likes this
- wonderfulslumber likes this
- thequixoticalchemist reblogged this from crunkfeministcollective
- farrons likes this
- ziatroyano likes this
- paleopostmodernism reblogged this from blackraincloud
- paleopostmodernism likes this
- crunkfeministcollective reblogged this from blackraincloud
- superhusbandslove reblogged this from everythingbutharleyquinn
- buddhalobes reblogged this from vampirefinch
- vampirefinch reblogged this from blackraincloud
- varices likes this
- thekillinggame likes this
- queerasgoat reblogged this from everythingbutharleyquinn
- elephantsinzoos reblogged this from everythingbutharleyquinn
- jugendohnegott likes this
- everythingbutharleyquinn reblogged this from note-a-bear
- hollowchirp likes this
- nytestalker reblogged this from discopolice
- discopolice reblogged this from jopara
- atleastoneperday likes this
- fairrest likes this
- wweltschmerz reblogged this from lavenderlines
- alifelessordinarywitheverysecond reblogged this from gamingtimeladyfromgallifrey
- gamingtimeladyfromgallifrey reblogged this from strugglingtobeheard
- dewritten reblogged this from blackraincloud
- adherentlyawesome reblogged this from bravenewderek
- gwest650 reblogged this from strugglingtobeheard
- graceantonia likes this
- senseret likes this
- glitterfieldstudy reblogged this from fivelettered
- fivelettered reblogged this from cosmicrubric
- sparklemarkletarkle reblogged this from strugglingtobeheard and added:
- storyofaquietgirl likes this
- rainbowfeminism reblogged this from deliciouskaek
- think-im-justhappy reblogged this from alexandraerin
- farfalline likes this
- bwall05 likes this
- radiantpeace reblogged this from karnythia
- xedasta likes this
- hairypitsandtits likes this
- thewaronindifference reblogged this from blackraincloud
- guerrillamamamedicine likes this
- caveumbrium likes this
- librarianpirate likes this
- hippielies reblogged this from darkjez
- darkfire-blade reblogged this from hamburgerjack