I AM AWARE OF ALL INTERNET TRADITIONS SO LISTEN UP WHEN I TELL YOU THAT THERE ARE ADVANCED SOCIAL JUSTICE IDEAS IN THE POST
THERE ARE ADVANCED SOCIAL JUSTICE IDEAS IN THE POST
That was one of the funniest, weirdest posts and threads I’ve read in ages. I haven’t really read any of those WhiteProgressive™ blogs in years, but I just decided to dip my toe in the water to check it out. Wow, that was worse than I remembered. So the key to dismantling white supremacy is fighting against the stereotyping of Scottish people because Othering among white ethnicities is the same as the Othering of people of color. Good luck with that, I guess?
“Whiteness is not a monolith.” True, whiteness is a fluid strategic ideology of power, with various ethnic groups sliding in and out of favor as required by circumstances and with anti-Blackness as a foundational organizing principle. That’s been one of my taglines for years. White liberals still can’t even spit something that simple. They think it’s a revelation to even consider inter-ethnicity and don’t know how to intersect it with race.
Some of the comments are priceless, like this one:
As a half-Spanish/half-West Virginian who’s spent the past 21 years living in Catalunya and Wales, I cannot tell you how grateful I am for this post. I have had to listen to the supposedly progressive give me the “it CAN’T be bigotry/stereotyping/etc.: [group in question] are WHITE!” One of the biggest weapons the English have in their (yes, still ongoing) campaign to obliterate the Welsh language and culture is the fact that the “Welsh are white.”
First of all, you know a speaker is lost when they enter a discussion about ethnicity by identifying as “half-West Virginian”, because what the fuck is that? WASP? African American? South Asian American? Those are all possible West Virginians, asshole. West Virginia is a region but not an ethnicity. Gotta keep these things straight.
Second, oh yes, the biggest weapon used against victims of cultural genocide is their whiteness. Brilliant! That explains everything!
Finally, there’s McEwan’s absurdly pompous head-up-ass commenting on her own post, in which she aggressively shuts down Scottish commenters who don’t share her view of Scottish oppression. “There are advanced social justice ideas in this post” seems destined to become internet-classic. She also writes:
The post very clearly elucidates how the particular stereotypes being evoked play into a tradition of racism that upholds white supremacy.
Is there such a thing as elucidating something unclearly? No? Oh okay, that explains why you added the “very clearly” in front of “elucidates”, because you actually know that your post in no way elucidates how stereotyping Scottish folks upholds racism and white supremacy, because it doesn’t.
zuky i love you is that weird to say
seriously though, i know this is horrible and melissa mcewan is unsurprisingly being horrible and shakesville is a horrifying toxic place but, also, i cannot stop laughing? i mean i am angry also. but this whole thing, i have been watching it for some time (THANKS A LOT, NOTTHEMARIMBA) and it’s just… ginger oppression! red wigs are like a fat suit for your head! i CANNOT. it’s just this terrible mess that borders on self-parody but also is like, deadly self-serious.
Heheh thanks, I really do think it’s funny too. I mean, ignorant and wrong-headed and demeaning of actual racism and appropriative of POC theory while centering whiteness and also just annoyingly self-serious and pretentious; but laughable.
While I’m at it, I might as well highlight one more bizarre statement McEwan makes in her post: ”Scots are the most identifiably tribal white culture”. What the fuck does that even mean? What’s up with just passing that off like it’s some widely accepted fact? What makes Scottish culture more “identifiably tribal” than Romanian culture or Basque culture or Ashkenazi culture? Some people use “tribal” to describe nomadic or pre-agrarian societies, but Scottish society is settled agriculture so that doesn’t apply. So how does McEwan define “tribal”? Is she aware that there’s a whole racist history associated with this word and its connotation of savage inferiority? Is she using that history to imply that Scottish culture is somehow reminiscent of aboriginal cultures which have come under genocidal attack by white supremacist colonialism?
I suspect that really drilling down and interrogating the entire line of thinking behind McEwan’s ridiculous Advanced Social Justice Ideas Post On (TW!) Ginger Stereotyping would reveal a whole lot more racism than I’ve even touched upon in this thread.
- ludotomboi likes this
- naturallmystic likes this
- emir-dynamite likes this
- krisralphio likes this
- zhinxy likes this
- narcolassie reblogged this from turdlewexler
- turdlewexler reblogged this from bankuei
- heroin-e reblogged this from youarenotyou
- zorana likes this
- gamingtimeladyfromgallifrey reblogged this from sexgenderbody
- cerberusia reblogged this from friendlyangryfeminist and added:
- hypotheticalthalamus likes this
- telegantmess reblogged this from zuky
- lajacobine reblogged this from atrocementheatral and added:
- octopuedo likes this
- quixotess likes this
- vincentthehuman likes this
- atrocementheatral reblogged this from isabelthespy and added:
- entegegenwartigung likes this
- nickminichino reblogged this from zuky
- isabelthespy likes this
- searchingforknowledge reblogged this from zuky
- imathers likes this
- zuky reblogged this from isabelthespy and added:
- soharam likes this
- nickminichino likes this
- isabelthespy reblogged this from zuky and added:
- unbrokencircle reblogged this from zuky and added:
- mcspinsta likes this
- solemntree likes this
- cloakable reblogged this from tal9000
- ari-withtheredhair reblogged this from genderbitch and added:
- genderbitch reblogged this from tal9000 and added:
- extranjero likes this
- tal9000 reblogged this from youarenotyou
- echeveria reblogged this from crossedwires and added:
- annieblack2red likes this
- tanglad likes this
- botsoftheworld likes this
- crossedwires reblogged this from zuky
- boredsincebirth likes this
- shinobivsdragon reblogged this from kiriamaya
- j-asexyrex reblogged this from kiriamaya
- buriaq reblogged this from bankuei and added:
- djjazzyleft reblogged this from hamburgerjack
- sara-huynh reblogged this from bankuei
- algandarsmanor likes this
- bitterseafigtree reblogged this from hamburgerjack
- nezua likes this