which is to say, i get why people hate them, but i feel like they could do better work than is assumed if they were cast in roles outside the cutesy quirky molds that made them both popular and kind of hated. michael cera in arrested development? that kid had amaaaazing comic timing, that doesn’t go away because you sing a moldy peaches song with ellen page. zooey deschanel, i’m going more on faith here, borne mostly out of the facts that 1) her nymag cover story really charmed the pants off me i have to say and 2) i really liked elf? and i think i liked her in elf? i should watch elf again. “sorry i put waffles in your VCR” ahaha that movie is great. GREAT I SAY. wasn’t she like the non-cutesy one in it? will ferrell had to uncynicize her or something. i don’t know, it’s been a while. MAYBE ZOOEY DESCHANEL IS HOPELESS. but i’d still take her over [redacted — person has been fired from blog].
See also: Zooey Deschanel talking about (500) Days of Summer. That movie is fucking weird, y’all, because the screenplay is sexist as fuck, and yet Deschanel and Joseph Gordon Levitt were actively undermining its sexism in their performances, and the Marc Webb direction—well, to be honest, I’m not sure where Marc Webb fits in all this, but I’m willing to give him the benefit of the doubt—meant that I watched a movie that I thought was really good until about 3/4 of the way through when I realized the movie had wanted me to find the dude sympathetic the whole time? And so I was very confused? Have I talked about that movie on here? I don’t think I have. That was 3/4 of a fucking great movie, and then I realized the movie I was watching and the movie that the screenwriters had written were diametrically opposed in viewpoint.
[Also I just asked and was shocked to discover that the redacted name was neither Scarlett Johansson nor Natalie Portman.]
- hiddenbrugh likes this
- mootpoint said: I pretty much agree on both counts. (Michael Cera is a good actor! He’s funny! He’s made some bad choices! Still funny. And Zooey is way better than people give her credit for.)
- erikonymous likes this
- minimoonstar likes this
- cxianet likes this
- heck likes this
- unbornwhiskey said: Here is where Brad is like, “I went from thinking the New Girl was purely unwatchable to thinking it’s the best show on television, which is largely thanks to Zooey’s evolving performance.”
- occupythedisco reblogged this from microphoneheartbeats and added:
- fourbeatsoff likes this
- microphoneheartbeats reblogged this from nickminichino and added:
- caricapapaya said: I hate cutsy but I also liked her in good girl and new girl > parks and rec, community and she is basically playing a caricature of herself So i think her “thing” and her talent are a bit more nuanced sometimes than she is given credit for.
- hypocritelecteuse said: agreed on michael cera. he was totally miscast as scott pilgrim but he still did a good job.
- hypocritelecteuse likes this
- kittentroops likes this
- imathers likes this
- nickminichino reblogged this from isabelthespy and added:
- occupythedisco likes this
- rakalak reblogged this from isabelthespy
- tress-fess likes this
- printedinternet likes this
- hannaheat said: ELF IS SO FUNNY
- isabelthespy posted this