Tumblr is pulling all the reblogs of this post from the other day, allegedly on the basis of a copyright complaint by the Humans of New York guy. I didn’t even get an email telling me they’d deleted a reblog.
“This one is very serious, guys:
I came upon these two on the sidewalk. They were having a conversation. “Excuse me,” I said, addressing the girl: “I’m sorry to interrupt, but is there anyway I can take your photo?”
“Why would you want my photo?” she asked.
“Because you look beautiful,” I said. And she did. She was Sudanese. There is a very distinct beauty among people from the Sudan, and she was filled up with it. Suddenly the man cut in:
“I was just telling her she was beautiful,” he said.
Naively, I assumed I had just walked up on one stranger giving a compliment to another. I wanted to capture the moment. “Let me take your photograph together,” I said. The man seemed reluctant, he started smiling nervously and inching away. But the girl called him back.
“Come take a picture with me,” she said. Encouraged by her attention, he returned. She put her arm around him, and I took the photo.
As I examined the photos on my camera, the man started whispering to the girl. She answered him in a loud voice: “I told you! I’m not that kind of girl.” She seemed agitated now. Finally sensing that I had misread the situation, I stepped between them. The man began hurrying down the sidewalk.
When the man left, the girl’s demeanor changed completely. She seemed shaken. Her eyes were tearing up. “He just offered me five hundred dollars to go out with him,” she said. “And then when I said ‘no,’ he offered me one thousand. Why does this always happen to me?”
“It happens a lot?” I asked.
“All the time,” she said. “I’m sorry I’m getting emotional. I just can’t go out of my house without this kind of thing happening. I have a son. I’m a mother. I would never degrade myself like that. I just don’t understand why this keeps happening.”
“Do you mind if I tell this story?” I asked.
“Please,” she said. “Tell it.”
Let’s hope this man, and all men, realize the emotional damage they are inflicting on the women they try to buy. In the meantime, feel free to SHARE.*
Dear Tumblr, fuck you for trying to erase this.
I’m saving this post because as many times as Tumblr tries to erase this woman’s story and act like anything about this was okay, that’s as many times as I’m reposting it. They can either cut me off or stop being assnuggets about this. whichEVER.
- black-salts-and-forget-me-nots reblogged this from retardedraptor
- charitable-giving likes this
- personalview-comment likes this
- hheeaalltthhyyliving reblogged this from josiesgirl
- ms-bs reblogged this from josiesgirl
- ms-bs likes this
- josiesgirl reblogged this from reneevstheworld
- rainbowrena likes this
- livingmurphyslaw reblogged this from reneevstheworld
- baconboyfriend likes this
- reneevstheworld reblogged this from marfmellow
- teadaze likes this
- banana-nut-muffinxx reblogged this from tealrallythong
- the-abandoned-garden reblogged this from elluvias
- redtiegreyvest reblogged this from justanordinarydancer
- tenbon likes this
- screwsmissing likes this
- freezeveganpolice reblogged this from thefutureisyellow
- egyptianprincess likes this
- hearttwist reblogged this from w-i-s-s-l-e-r
- hellosam-iam likes this
- lockedinaburningroom reblogged this from my-homestuck-romance
- lockedinaburningroom likes this
- askandyoushallreceive reblogged this from say-alhamdoulillah-mylove
- l-ovelyangels reblogged this from say-alhamdoulillah-mylove
- perfectiolicious reblogged this from say-alhamdoulillah-mylove
- africanmoons reblogged this from say-alhamdoulillah-mylove
- lifeinblackandwhite likes this
- kittensforbrunch likes this
- say-alhamdoulillah-mylove reblogged this from wapeii
- stareyedhijabi likes this
- sueeatart likes this
- wapeii reblogged this from blackpalmislandsalt
- blackpalmislandsalt reblogged this from staghunts
- shadylady91 reblogged this from cherishgrace
- chocozombiebunny likes this
- galaxypops reblogged this from crystalclit
- sailafar reblogged this from tcqt
- sailafar likes this
- jaymaison reblogged this from tcqt
- crazysphere likes this
- heyywendy reblogged this from tcqt
- heyywendy likes this
- tcqt reblogged this from j0nawithazero
- recklessabandon-mentofreality reblogged this from hungrylikethebad-wolf
- mars-dust reblogged this from gsppcrocks10
- sandralanddiaries likes this
- ruskabelle-rabbit reblogged this from ouibonjourmarie
- doanutfactory reblogged this from j0nawithazero